The New Year-Time for Reflections + Resolutions
You guys, I can not believe it's about to be 2017!! 2016 sure was a whirlwind! Looking back on these past twelve months looks quite a bit different than it did last year. Like most people, I like to take this time to reflect on the past year and make resolutions for the new year ahead. 2015 was filled with a lot of exciting things, starting the blog, going to my favorite blog conference, getting engaged, it was a year that really prepared me for what was to come in 2016. Getting married was by far the best thing that happened to me in 2016. Having so many of the people I love from all over the world in the same room was a feeling I can't quite describe. I will say SO MUCH happened in 2016 that it's kind of a blur, looking back each year reminds me how fleeting the year can be.
This past year I added event services to Kase Styles, I planned my wedding, got married, went on my honeymoon, and help start Empower + Create (a group I am SO SO excited about and will be sharing more about), not to mention I have a full-time job, I still run Appetizing Reads (an amazing book club!), I volunteer, and try to have a social life. PHEW!!! It's a lot right?! How do I do it all?! I have NO F*ING CLUE. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with it all. I am an introvert and I NEED my alone time, but it's typically what ends up taking a backseat to everything else. I have yet to master how to balance it all.
I am trying to figure out how to slow down and enjoy the moment. It's very similar to my New year's resolution's from last year. This past year I focused so much on my ambitions I didn't even give my last years resolutions a second thought.
This year I hope to be more intentional with every action and less impulsive. I had a great conversation with my sister about this very topic. Her and I are very similar, we tend to put a lot on our plates and then get overwhelmed. I always have these lofty goals and ambitions, and I tend to be impatient with them. When I want to do something, I do it. What she helped me realize, was to figure out the WHY, and then go from there. When she asked me why I did it all, I didn't have an answer. I never asked myself, that question. Was I doing all of this to make money? No, just making a lot of money wouldn't be fulfilling to me, it wouldn't make me happy. Of course I would love to make a living doing what I love, but what is it that I loved to do? Was I doing it for fame or social status? Having name recognition wouldn't make me happy. In fact it would probably stress me out more and people would expect more from me. I enjoy writing the blog, I enjoy styling photo shoots, I enjoy styling events, I get pure joy out of doing something creative, but what's my end game? Why am I really doing all of this? I knew I was very passionate about it all but I wasn't sure what purpose it served.
After reflecting on all that I have accomplished this past year, event planning, book club, empower + create, volunteering, it hit me! What do all these things have in common? They help bring people together. That's it. That's what I love to do the most. I know, coming from an introvert, what a paradox. But that was it! I love helping people especially when it comes to helping them connect with other people. My book club is one of my greatest accomplishments and I haven't made a penny off of book club. I have had more than one person approach me and say "Because of book club, I have friends here." That was it. Hearing that was worth all the work I had put into it! That's what made me realize what really matters most to me. That was a huge premise for starting Empower + Create.
That was a long winded way of me saying that reflecting on this past year has helped me realize what I need to focus on in 2017. Yesterday I sat down and used the Happiness Planner App to help me reflect on this past year and help me be better prepared for the next. It was really helpful! Knowing what I really want to accomplish will better equip me to take on 2017. I hope to balance everything knowing what purpose it serves. When Kelsy and I were working on the website for Empower + Create we decided that we would sign our signature "with passion + purpose." What better way to go about life?? Last year I did everything with passion, and this year I plan to do everything with passion AND purpose.
Thank you, as always, for your continued love and support. The community we have here is what makes this blog so special to me and makes me excited to continue to thrive for new + inspiring content. We'll be back here with new content in 2017 so stayed tuned!
Also, be sure to check out Freelancing Females every Friday to learn from an inspiring entrepreneur paving her own way.
Things I want to Give Up in 2017
1. An Unhealthy Lifestyle- I am not "unhealthy" but I could be healthier!
2. A Short Term Mindset- I want to be healthy to be healthy not for the short term outcome.
3. Playing Small- I don't want to hold back who I am, I want to show more of myself on my blog even if that means grammatical errors :)
4. Excuses- There is ALWAYS a reason not to. If I want something I am going to go for it.
5. Fixed Mindset- I am always evolving.
6. Believing In Overnight Success- Nothing is going to be handed to me. Each day is a small step to getting to my goals.
7. Perfectionism- It doesn't exist and it's too daunting.
8. Multitasking- This is huge for me. I always have my hand in a gazillion things at once. I want to FOCUS on one thing at a time.
9. Control- I am going to let go of what I can not control and let be.
10. Saying Yes When It Doesn't Support My Goals- This is REALLY hard for me. It's really hard for me to say no, and I tend to say yes and regret it later.
11. Toxic People- I love everyone and want to be friends with everyone, but negative people can really bring you down and life is too short to be surrounded by that!
12. The Need to Be Liked- I always want to be liked, it's not the most important thing. Time to let that go.
13. Dependency on Social Media- This is HUGE I go on social media all the time, but I really want to be more present.
What are some of your new year's resolutions? I would love to hear them!